It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next
Prometheus 

there is that but I also think Ridley Scott doesn't care about those sort of nitpicks, it's definitely been a concern for me too about the technology, but it looks like its one big multi billion obituary this Weyland character has bought for himself, so he ploughed all research and money into it, later maybe Weyland is in more of a decline dealing with the ass-end of space, conial marines and terraforming and mining

Hail The Crushing Onslaught of DOOM AND THE DOOM-ISH: BLACK SABBATH, SAINT VITUS, THE OBSESSED, TROUBLE, WITCHFINDER GENERAL, PENTAGRAM, COUNT RAVEN, CATHEDRAL, CANDLEMASS, SOLITUDE AETURNUS, IRONMAN, REVELATION, BLOOD FARMERS, SOLOMON KANE, AGAINST NATURE, UNORTHODOX, THE RIVER, SCALD, SOLSTICE, WARNING, PAGAN ALTAR, REVEREND BIZARRE, ORODRUIN, PLACE OF SKULLS, SPIRIT CARAVAN, DREAM DEATH, PENANCE, THE GATES OF SLUMBER, EARTHRIDE, WITCHCRAFT, TEETH OF LIONS RULE THE DIVINE, MELVINS, BURNING WITCH, GOATSNAKE, SUNNO))), THORRS HAMMER, EVOKEN, CELTIC FROST, WINTER, MANILLA ROAD, PANTERA, TYPE O NEGATIVE, CARNIVORE, SLEEP, HIGH ON FIRE, OM, EARTH, WEEDEATER, SOURVEIN, EYEHATEGOD, CROWBAR, CORROSION OF CONFORMITY, GRAVEYARD RODEO, STRESSBALL, TUNGSTEN, THE MYSTIC KREWE OF CLEARLIGHT, DOWN, BONGZILLA, HIGH ON FIRE, CHURCH OF MISERY, UNEARTHLY TRANCE, BATHORY, ELECTRIC WIZARD, SONS OF OTIS, KYUSS, KARMA TO BURN, SCISSORFIGHT, ABSU, ACID KING, NEUROSIS, AMEBIX and PILLS, POT AND PISS DRINKING.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:04 pm

This is pretty much the only big budget Hollywood movie I'm looking forward to. I think I said it before on this forum: could be amazing, could be simply awful. Will have to see this on a big screen.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:18 pm

DemonWitchChild wrote:
That trailer is amazing, however:

Who says they have technology that rivals/surpasses the later films?

Considering it logically, in Alien, the Nostromo was a salvage ship, yes? Already out on a salvage mission that they had been at for quite some time? And if memory serves, there was dialog in the film specifically discussing the substandard maintenance that the "company" provided for the ship and that it was well-past its prime? It also stands to reason that on what is essentially an interplanetary tugboat, they wouldn't exactly have the most advanced technology in any case...

that was what I thought too, i really hope they've addressed this issue in the script.

flickr.com/photos/wearenevercominghome

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Evan CrackDust wrote:
there is that but I also think Ridley Scott doesn't care about those sort of nitpicks, it's definitely been a concern for me too about the technology, but it looks like its one big multi billion obituary this Weyland character has bought for himself, so he ploughed all research and money into it, later maybe Weyland is in more of a decline dealing with the ass-end of space, conial marines and terraforming and mining

Decent enough way of thinking about it,

Tue May 01, 2012 8:36 am
Profile WWW

mictron3000 wrote:
DemonWitchChild wrote:
because no studio would ever allow it (on the assumption that the majority of the audience would find it laughable and boring)...

sadly this is true.

almost, but Moon did it with brio...

Tue May 01, 2012 9:24 am

Radio_Albemuth wrote:
mictron3000 wrote:
DemonWitchChild wrote:
because no studio would ever allow it (on the assumption that the majority of the audience would find it laughable and boring)...

sadly this is true.

almost, but Moon did it with brio...

Moon was shit, though.

Tue May 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Gaendaal wrote:
Moon was shit, though.

It had promise, but squandered it, IMO.

I'll take all you sons of bitches when I go." - Billy Joe Shaver

Tue May 01, 2012 12:25 pm
Profile WWW

Moon was great. Perfect mix of simple and advanced effects; models and CGI.

From looking at the trailer I'd be very surprised if miniatures and practical effects haven't been used in Prometheus.

Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm

MOON was good I thought too. Yeah Scott has stuck to practical as much as possible in this. You can really tell, actual blood and guts, slime, gigantic mindblowing sets etc. CGI largely reserved for space, the ship exterior, backgrounds etc. Even the part's that are full CGI like the Juggernaut look amazing. Look back at those LOTR films from a decade back and they look like laughable cartoons in the cgi parts.

Hail The Crushing Onslaught of DOOM AND THE DOOM-ISH: BLACK SABBATH, SAINT VITUS, THE OBSESSED, TROUBLE, WITCHFINDER GENERAL, PENTAGRAM, COUNT RAVEN, CATHEDRAL, CANDLEMASS, SOLITUDE AETURNUS, IRONMAN, REVELATION, BLOOD FARMERS, SOLOMON KANE, AGAINST NATURE, UNORTHODOX, THE RIVER, SCALD, SOLSTICE, WARNING, PAGAN ALTAR, REVEREND BIZARRE, ORODRUIN, PLACE OF SKULLS, SPIRIT CARAVAN, DREAM DEATH, PENANCE, THE GATES OF SLUMBER, EARTHRIDE, WITCHCRAFT, TEETH OF LIONS RULE THE DIVINE, MELVINS, BURNING WITCH, GOATSNAKE, SUNNO))), THORRS HAMMER, EVOKEN, CELTIC FROST, WINTER, MANILLA ROAD, PANTERA, TYPE O NEGATIVE, CARNIVORE, SLEEP, HIGH ON FIRE, OM, EARTH, WEEDEATER, SOURVEIN, EYEHATEGOD, CROWBAR, CORROSION OF CONFORMITY, GRAVEYARD RODEO, STRESSBALL, TUNGSTEN, THE MYSTIC KREWE OF CLEARLIGHT, DOWN, BONGZILLA, HIGH ON FIRE, CHURCH OF MISERY, UNEARTHLY TRANCE, BATHORY, ELECTRIC WIZARD, SONS OF OTIS, KYUSS, KARMA TO BURN, SCISSORFIGHT, ABSU, ACID KING, NEUROSIS, AMEBIX and PILLS, POT AND PISS DRINKING.

Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Kief wrote:
Moon was great. Perfect mix of simple and advanced effects; models and CGI.

And yet totally lacking in, oh I dunno, an interesting story?

Moon was pretty much the opening deck-crawl from Alien, stretched out to feature length with a predictably dull plot dropped over the top.

Tue May 01, 2012 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next