It is currently Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Drinking in Dublin 

Am going with my family 11th-15th August any recommendations places to go see etc?

Thanks!

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:21 pm

yeah, head down to Glendalough, down in the Wicklow mountains...cool place. there's a cool panoramic view at Sally Gap as well; i thought i had a photo online but can't find it. you'll need a car for this.

Bray's not bad either...there's a great fish and chips place there, and it's a neat hike up to the top to overlook the shore northward. i did a bike race down bray which was a lot of fun. you can take the DART right to it.

i really liked the Porterhouse as a bar, and Mulligan's on Poolbeg is said to pour one the best pints in the city; it's a good spot.

And that music is so powerful that it's quite beyond my control and ah... when I'm in the grips of it I don't feel pleasure and I don't feel pain, either physically or emotionally. Do you understand what I'm talking about? Have you ever felt like that?

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:31 pm

I agree with the above. Wicklow is lovely and anywhere in the mountains there is gorgeous.

Don't think there's much in the way of gigs but, along the lines of touristy things, you should check out:
- The bog bodies at the National Museum on Kildare St.
- If you're into art, there's an exhibition of etchings by Rembrandt in the Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle
- If you're into more modern art, visit Francis Bacon's studio at the Hugh Lane Gallery on Parnell Square
- Drink in the Porterhouse pub (there's a few of them dotted around, great selection of beers)
- Eat in Gruel on Dame St.
- Record shop in Road Records (independent stuff, great mix and lovely people) on Fade St. (just beside the Market Bar, off George's St.)
- Record shop in Tower Records (everything) on Wicklow St. (just off Grafton St.)
- Record shop in Sound Cellar (metal) on Nassau St. (the end of Grafton St.)

Hopefully someone with a life might be able to point out stuff that's more lively (or gigs I don't know about) but at least you've something to start on.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:37 pm

if you are going to the wicklows, powersgate (both the falls, and the estate/garden) is cool to see. malahide castle and howth are also good spots to hit.

the strand is neat too.

And that music is so powerful that it's quite beyond my control and ah... when I'm in the grips of it I don't feel pleasure and I don't feel pain, either physically or emotionally. Do you understand what I'm talking about? Have you ever felt like that?

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:53 pm

Cheers! won't be straying far out of the city, (I think wish we could) need to consult the wife & kiddies though

bog bodies sound cool! Want to go to the Guiness factory & Jameson's Distillery if I can as well .

doubt i'll be able to fit any gigs in but record shops can't say no to that!

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:00 pm

if you've rented a car, the places i mention are ~30 min from city center.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:22 am

I haven't done the Guinness or Jameson tours so can't tell you if they're worth it or not.

There's some pretty scenary within Dublin. Merrion Sq. (about 5min walk from Grafton St.) is a lovely little park. There's a cool statue of Oscar Wilde and a monument (a big throne) to Dermot Morgan (Father Ted).

Trinity College has some beautiful old architecture (as well as some horrendous modern architecture). The Old Library (where the Book of Kells is) is brilliant. Huge, grimm looking rows of books.

If you're into literature, there's the writers' museum up on Parnell Sq., the National Library (near the museum with the bog bodies) has a big Yeats exhibition on and there's a couple of Joyce museums (one in the city centre on North Great George’s Street and one further out towards the suburbs in Sandycove in the Martello tower featured in Ulysses).

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:04 am

Dulbin Zoo is amazing too! :D

HUGE SALE NOW ON! MOST STUFF REDUCED, 2-FOR-1 ON ALL TAPES AND 7"s AND FREE POSTAGE!

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:08 am
Profile WWW

Iveagh Gardens, just up a bit from the top of Grafton St/Stephens green is nice to relax in if it's sunny.Or get a bus to the Botanic Gardens on the northside of the city centre

How old, may I ask, are your kids?I may be able to point you toward some family friendly stuff that might be worthwhile.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:33 am
Profile WWW

Haven't been myself but I hear really good things about the radio museum in Howth which is about half hour on the train(dart) from the city centre.

WILD ROCKET

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next