It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next
Comics then? 

I was amazed that with all the responses to big nothings comic store thread that there wasnt a comic thread here (or the search engine isnt worth a damn). To be truthful, i never liked classic comics. Im a big fan of cerebus, in fact im a fucking lunatic for it. Madman is also a favorite as well as frank millers stuff and most of the vertigo roster, especially preacher.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:18 am
Profile WWW

Cerebus is the single greatest long term achievment in the history of the medium. and Dave Sim deserves recognition on par with Alan Moore and the other titans of sequential art. he used it as such a great device for all his many ideas, like em or not. most i don't. swell guy to have dinner with but he was more fun before he gave up the sauce.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:27 am
Profile WWW

in the last few years myself i've been reading more 2000AD. never had much of it around here. i always enjoyed Pat Mills' Slaine stuff. tho crucify me for it i can't stand Glenn Fabry's art.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:29 am
Profile WWW

Used to have a large collection, cut it down to a couple long boxes of silver and bronze age stuff mostly. Favorites include Wrightson's Swamp Thing run and Alan Moore's run later on. Jim Starlin's Warlock. Bryne's X-Men run. Madman is great. Used to enjoy The Tick and Usagi Yojimbo. Last comic I read was Y the Last Man up to issue #25.

No idea whats good anymore.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:32 am

Fish Hook wrote:
No idea whats good anymore.

Neither do i. Thats kindof why i started the thread....I havent bought anything other than the transmetropolitan collections in years...It seems like alot of the individuality died with the coming of the new millenium....maybe im wrong though..and i honestly hope that i am, but i just havent seen anything worth reading in forever. It also seems like comic stores have hanged aswell. Anybody remember the stores of maybe 12 13 years ago?

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:38 am
Profile WWW

bignothing wrote:
in the last few years myself i've been reading more 2000AD. never had much of it around here. i always enjoyed Pat Mills' Slaine stuff. tho crucify me for it i can't stand Glenn Fabry's art.

As far as mabry...im a fan but did it seem to you that when he really got famous, everyone in the world was clamoring to bite his style? I got sick of seeing shit that looked like something he would do...

Last edited by SPACERITUAL on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:40 am
Profile WWW

Y The Last Man was looking good but i stopped fell off after the 4th tpb came out. same with Walking Dead, got the first 6 tpb's to catch up but then lost interest. new shit that's good (to me) is Kick-Ass (the new Mark Millar joint), all the Avatar Press stuff like No Hero and Black Summer (Warren Ellis), Crossed (Garth Ennis), Narcopolis (Jamie Delano) and some others. Warren Ellis' run on The Astonishing X-Men has been good but i'm a book or two behind. Punisher War Journal/War Zone... The Boys...

lately i've just been slowly going through Preacher and The Goon back issues and trying to catch up on Hellboy and B.P.R.D.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:41 am

my favrite at the moment is Vertigo's SCALPED.
its a harsh story about liffe on an american indian reservation.
with just enough allegorical bits of the Leonard Pelltier story thrown into the back story.
great, gritty artwork and real authentic dialog on par with Brian Azarello's scripts.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:42 am
Profile WWW

i really liked the first 4 of Scalped but fell off in a big way. anyone read the Dead Space comic prequel yet? looks like the best stuff Templesmith has done. Steve Niles' City of Dust looks like it could be cool aswell.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:46 am

Empyrean wrote:
lately i've just been slowly going through Preacher and The Goon back issues and trying to catch up on Hellboy and B.P.R.D.

Forgot about The Goon, probably the funniest comic Ive read. I had all the Avatar and Exploding Albatross issues. Man, I made some coin when I sold those. The older Hellboy stuff was top notch too.

I think the 90's killed comics for me. Foil this, hologram that. Telling though, I was obviously reading the wrong stuff if I had to deal with that.

I might have to pick up some collected works based on some recommendations here.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 578 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next