It is currently Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Music Theory Thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:38 am 

Hello, I'm not sure if there is already a thread for this or not, but I haven't seen one. I basically just want to start this thread so I, along with others, can ask questions they have regarding music theory and gain knowledge. I'm mostly interested in advanced chords and how to make them into unique, interesting progressions and how to structure songs. I have always just jammed out and "screwed" around until I found things that worked but I want to be able to know where to go and what my options are. Any replies or links are much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Music Theory Thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:15 am 

I feel like theory is more of a 'refer back to it guide' to what you've been playing anyway - it does kinda rely on being able to identify interval resolutions by ear if you want to construct a chord sequence with it, and it be more guided than just stringing chords together by, say, building chords around a melody or bassline.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:25 am 

If you already know the basics, go through Arnold Schoenberg's "Harmonielehre".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am 

for creativity's sake youre probably best off not knowing anything, "jamming out and screwing around" are where the interesting stuff comes from.. the only thing ive found it useful for is communicating faster with another musician... who also has to "know theory". that said, there is a metric quadrafuckton of theory books out there.. probably best to go to library or used book store than doomed forever forum! ;)

here's a couple of very very basic tips.
-surprising amount of people dont know that the fretboard "starts over" on fret 12
-keep in mind that there are only 12 notes in the western chromatic scale and the key or mode youre playing in will often use less than half of them
-also keep in mind that of these notes and the 144 possible fret positions around 120 (not going to do math lol) of those notes can also be played in the exact octave somewhere else on the fretboard.

hope this can clear some creative clutter, sorry if it's nonsense or basic shit.

bonus: an open strummed guitar in standard is an E13th chord. tell your friends.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:21 pm 

probert wrote:
for creativity's sake youre probably best off not knowing anything, "jamming out and screwing around" are where the interesting stuff comes from..

You're best off knowing more than you will ever use. I mentioned Schoenberg. One thing he keeps repeating in that book is that all rules will be broken in later chapters once the student is more advanced.