It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:47 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Sound City, Bristol
Bongripper, Goatsnake, Caricatures and Sonance all sound pretty much the same, that old having audible content in your guitar output thing.

_________________
New record is done: https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/ ... w-and-thud

Band: https://www.facebook.com/warriorpope?fref=ts
Blog: https://ampstack.wordpress.com


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Posts: 1887
Location: Een the meedle ov Trahnsilwaynia...
Robert W wrote:
Or you can exercise a degree of tonal independence and not blindly conform to the sonically "same old, same old."


Ah, now I understand. Because rebelling against physics is, like, so radical, man.

_________________
Wanderer.

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
The Eddie Izzard of doom.


Atomic Tangerine - Guitar Projects & Other Music Stuff
Atomic Tangerine on Farcebook, yo.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:37 am
Posts: 23
Mr Dreadful wrote:
Isn't Greg Anderson's tone pretty much all mids? Those Goatsnake albums certainly sound really scratchy and have no sustain on them... :?


If you're going to quote me, then have the decency to quote me correctly. What I'd written was,

"Or you can crank your mids and get a harsh, abrasive, scratchy djent tone with no sustain."

Notice please that I was referring to a specific kind of tone, to wit a djenty Meshuggahish tone in my aforementioned quote.

As for the Goatsnake tone(s), they certainly seem to work well within the band's musical confines, but the tone itself is nothing really to write home about. Not that I'm knocking it, but it's a pretty generic sounding tone for the genre.


Last edited by Robert W on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:49 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:37 am
Posts: 23
Mr Dreadful wrote:
Robert W wrote:
Or you can exercise a degree of tonal independence and not blindly conform to the sonically "same old, same old."


Ah, now I understand. Because rebelling against physics is, like, so radical, man.


If sonic mediocrity is your thing, then please, by all means, indulge to your heart's content.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Posts: 1887
Location: Een the meedle ov Trahnsilwaynia...
Robert W wrote:
Mr Dreadful wrote:
Isn't Greg Anderson's tone pretty much all mids? Those Goatsnake albums certainly sound really scratchy and have no sustain on them... :?


If you're going to quote me, then have the decency to quote me correctly. What I'd written was,

"Or you can crank your mids and get a harsh, abrasive, scratchy djent tone with no sustain."

Notice please that I was referring to a specific kind of tone, to wit a djenty Meshuggahish tone in my aforementioned quote.

As for the Goatsnake tone(s), they certainly seem to work well within the band's musical confines, but the tone itself is nothing really to write home about. Not that I'm knocking it, but ti's a pretty generic sounding tone for the genre.


Yuh huh. Except djenty tones are acheived by scooping mids as any fule kno (which has already been pointed out) so even if I had fully quoted you, my point would still stand: you said that cranked mids create "harsh, abrasive, scratchy djent tone" when they demonstrably don't, you incorrectly generalised and were called up on it... whether someone quoted you incorrectly is just splitting hairs.

Robert W wrote:
Mr Dreadful wrote:
Robert W wrote:
Or you can exercise a degree of tonal independence and not blindly conform to the sonically "same old, same old."


Ah, now I understand. Because rebelling against physics is, like, so radical, man.


If sonic mediocrity is your thing, then please, by all means, indulge to your heart's content.


I've seen the light. You have totally shamed me into realising how wrong I am and how adjusting my EQ based on the advice of a guy who knows tone and was actually there at the time was just making me into a mediocre tone drone.

_________________
Wanderer.

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
The Eddie Izzard of doom.


Atomic Tangerine - Guitar Projects & Other Music Stuff
Atomic Tangerine on Farcebook, yo.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:30 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:42 pm
Posts: 81
Mids = nice sounding. Cut all mids and you'll sound shit.

Fact.

_________________
Band - http://www.facebook.com/sonancenoise


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:45 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:37 am
Posts: 23
benno))) wrote:
Mids = nice sounding. Cut all mids and you'll sound shit.

Fact.


Fact: Morbid Tales sounds heavier than anything else out there.

Fact: That tone was achieved rolling back the tone on the pup and killing the mids.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:50 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Sound City, Bristol
You already said midboost was used on it. Also, were you in the studio, hearing the amp tone, for the recording I'm fully happy to assume occurred some time before you were born?

Anyway, this is the pedal for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

_________________
New record is done: https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/ ... w-and-thud

Band: https://www.facebook.com/warriorpope?fref=ts
Blog: https://ampstack.wordpress.com


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:51 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:37 am
Posts: 23
Quote:
I've seen the light. You have totally shamed me into realising how wrong I am and how adjusting my EQ based on the advice of a guy who knows tone and was actually there at the time was just making me into a mediocre tone drone.


Actually djent tones are achieved by cranking mids, as anyone who's seen settings for such tones knows.

Honestly, I really don't care how you EQ your tone, nor am I really interested in anything you have to say further on the subject, as it's simply more of the same tired advice you get from tonal conformists.


Last edited by Robert W on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:52 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Posts: 1887
Location: Een the meedle ov Trahnsilwaynia...
Robert W wrote:
Fact: That tone was achieved rolling back the tone on the pup and killing the mids.


I take it you have actually verified this?

_________________
Wanderer.

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
The Eddie Izzard of doom.


Atomic Tangerine - Guitar Projects & Other Music Stuff
Atomic Tangerine on Farcebook, yo.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited